Fast answers to your most common questions.
We're here to answer any questions you may have about the markets and your investments. Many common questions are answered in the FAQs we've organized for you below. As always, feel free to call us, visit our website, or use our mobile app to get the information you need.
How do I place a trade?
Use the Trade Stocks order entry page to submit an order to buy, sell, or sell short. You'll need to complete three steps: Enter the specifics of your stock order including symbol, quantity and order type, verify your order, then submit your order.
The All-In-One Trade Ticket is designed to give you easier access to multiple asset types within the same trade ticket. See our Trade FAQs below for more information.
How do I transfer funds?
Whether you want to move funds among your accounts at Schwab or from external accounts, our step-by-step process will walk you through it. Please note that It is currently not possible to connect your Schwab account directly with an account at a non-US financial institution.
The fastest way to fund your Schwab account from the UK is to instruct your bank to send an international wire and follow these instructions.
How do I log in or change my password?
How do I deposit or mail a cheque?
You can save time depositing your cheques by using the Schwab mobile app on your Android™ device, iPhone®, or iPad®. Your mobile deposit will typically be processed the same business day using the same strict security measures you rely on at the Schwab website. If you need to mail in account deposits, visit the mailing address location page.
Account Maintenance FAQs.
- How do I send a wire?
- What is MoneyLink® and how do I enroll?
- Where do I mail a cheque, application, or account update form?
- Is there a limit to how much money I can deposit through the Schwab mobile app?
Trading US ETFs
- Can I trade US ETFs?
Trading and Margin FAQs
How to Trade
- How do I place a trade on the Schwab website?
- Where can I find the status of an order?
- How do I change or cancel an open order?
- Can I change or cancel an order once it has been filled?
Day Trading and Trade Settlement
- What is a pattern day trader?
- What if a pattern day trader drops below the US$25,000 minimum?
- What are stock settlement violations?
- How does margin work?
- What happens when I receive a margin call?
- Where can I find information on maintenance requirements?
- What is form W-8BEN?
- Why do I need to fill out a W-8BEN?
- What happens if I do not complete/update Form W-8BEN?
- What is foreign tax identification number (FTIN)?
- Where can I complete a W-8BEN form?
- My account has joint holders. Does each account holder need to submit a separate W8-BEN form?
Asset Protection FAQs
- How does Schwab protect your assets?
- Is Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. an SIPC-member brokerage firm? And does it maintain excess SIPC protection?