U.S. Expat Essentials
Explore Schwab’s services for U.S. Expats
We understand that, as an American living outside the U.S., you face some difficult challenges, such as finding accommodations, settling your kids into schools, and adjusting to a different culture.
That’s why Schwab aims to make your financial transition as smooth as possible. We can help you invest in U.S. markets while living abroad, access U.S. dollar–based accounts, and provide reporting for U.S. tax filing.
Local and U.S.-Based Professional Support
The U.S.-licensed Financial Consultants in our London office can help guide you through the account opening process and answer your questions. Just call and schedule an appointment. You’ll also have access to:
- U.S.-based client support and specialists to discuss specific investing or trading needs through a toll-free phone service, 24x5.
- London-based branch and online workshops showcasing Schwab’s platforms, market insights, and trading strategies.
- An international wire team to facilitate quick and efficient currency exchanges and money movement.
Not only can we assist you with your U.S. investing needs in the U.K., we can also help you with account transitioning if you decide to move back to the U.S.
Account Features for U.S. Expats
As a U.S citizen living abroad, you’ll enjoy a number of Schwab’s advantages:
- Convenient access to your money through U.S. dollar–denominated checks, debit cards, and Schwab MoneyLink® Electronic Funds Transfer Service.
- Competitive rates of exchange to other currencies, to help you fund your investment accounts.
- All accounts are U.S.-domiciled dollar accounts, which can simplify your U.S. tax reporting.
- Clear online reporting and a 1099 form to help your IRS filing.
- A Visa® debit card with no ATM fees.
Access Schwab Trading Platforms
You’ll have access to market insights and online tools:
- You can stay connected to the markets and trade via schwab.co.uk using your computer, tablet, and mobile device.
- Active traders have access to StreetSmart Edge®, our most advanced trading platform, which is intuitive and easy to use.
Want to know more about Schwab’s services for U.S. expats?
Please contact us.